Before a beginner learns how to play gin rummy and the tricks and tips in playing the game, one should be familiar with the common terms used associated with this card game.
o Gin rummy- is a card game that consists of two players (more in other variations). The sole objective of the players is to outdo each other’s cards and score the higher points. It is also known in different names such as gin, knock poker, gin poker and poker gin. Gin rummy is card game that is swifter that the traditional rummy game and more calculated than the knock rummy.
A standard deck of cards (52-card pack) is used for this game. And contradictory to other card games, the aces on gin rummy is often used as the card with the least points. Face cards (jacks, queens and kings) have the value of 10 points each.
o Sets- a collection of 3 or 4 cards with the same number and suits like a collection of the 5 card (5 of diamonds, 5 of hearts, 5 of spades and/or 5 of clubs).
o Runs- a collection of 3 or more cards in sequence and in same suites like a collection of 6, 7, 8 and 9 cards (6 of diamonds, 7 of diamonds, 8 of diamonds and 9 of diamonds).
o Melds- the combination or blend of the cards such as the sets (groupings) and the runs (sequence)
o Knocking- to “knock” is to end a particular round of the game before your adversary reaches gin. A player just can’t knock every time he or she wants to because knocking constitutes certain conditions.
Learning how to play the gin rummy is easy. It only gets a little harder when you start learning how to strategize. But the fundamental steps in studying how to play the gin rummy are plain and straightforward.
In simple terms here’s a summary in learning how to play the gin rummy.
1. You and your opponent should receive 10 cards each. The remaining 32 cards will be placed in between the two players or in the middle of the playing table.
2. Check your cards and organize them. If you already have a complete set or run then put the cards together. If you have partial sets or runs then assemble them together so there won’t be any confusion when you’re melding.
3. Take turns in either taking the top card from the “free” cards in the middle or picking out the newest discarded card of your opponent. Alternately discard cards as well.
4. When someone already reached gin, meaning when one player reached 100 points, then the round is done. The winner will get a total of 100 points for winning and the loser will get 25 points for every complete hand he or she have.
5. If the total of your deadwoods is 10 points and below then you may win the game by knocking. The game will end immediately after a player knocked and showed his or her cards.
6. Make a tally of all the points to easily declare the winner at the end of your playing session.
Learning first the basics on how to play gin rummy is more efficient than studying the fundamentals and the strategies at the same time.